14 May Covid-19 Testing Guidelines
COVID-19 TESTING REVISION
Edgewater Place Assisted Living & Rehabilitation Policy & Procedure
Revised: 12/20, 4/21, 5/21, 8/21, 7/22
To define best practices and effective use of resources identified by the Ohio Department of Health (ODH) and the Ohio Department of Aging (ODA) for a new testing initiative aimed at facilitating COVID-19 testing in Assisted Living facilities for all residents and staff.
- The Director’s Order and Amended Order for the Testing of Residents and Staff of all Residential Care Facilities dated August 28, 2020, and March 23, 2021, respectively, are hereby rescinded effective at 12:01 a.m. on July 1, 2022.
- Testing is NOT to stop, and it is the Provider’s duty to ensure the safety of Residents and Staff.
- The new recommendation for staff routine testing is that RCF’s follow the CDC testing guidelines as baseline procedures, which utilize the Levels of COVID-19 Community Transmission Rates found on the COVIDCare Portal:
- High (RED) Test 2 times a week
- Substantial (ORANGE) Test 2 times a week
- Moderate (YELLOW) Test 1 time a week
- Low (BLUE) Testing not recommended
- The Community Transmission Rates will dictate the frequency of testing for all unvaccinated staff and staff that are not “Up to Date” with COVID vaccinations.
- Unvaccinated refers to a person who does not fit the definition of fully vaccinated, including people whose vaccination status is not known. You are “Up to Date” with your COVID-19 vaccines when you have received all doses in the primary series and boosters recommended for you, when eligible.
- Regardless of vaccination status, strategic testing of all staff and residents shall continue. Strategic testing may include, but is not limited to, testing staff and residents with known or suspected COVID-19 exposure; testing symptomatic staff and residents; or testing staff and residents as determined clinically necessary.
- Testing will continue with MAKO Medical Laboratories, LLC.
- MAKO provides the infrastructure, support, efficiency, and outcomes necessary to focus on the health and safety of residents and staff.
- MAKO will utilize a nasal-based collection strategy (just inside the nostrils). Results will be available within 48 hours of receipt by the lab. Staff will be able to access their own results online.
- Abbott BinaxNOW CovID-19 Ag CARD (rapid test) will be utilized, as needed.
- Results from each testing date will be recorded on a spreadsheet and reported as directed to ODH. Hardcopy individual test results will be kept of file with corresponding testing spreadsheet.
- This plan will be maintained and revised as needed or directed. Additional guidelines may be developed by ODH and/or ODA as needed.